The department was founded in 1951 on the premises of SANOPSZ (Sanatorium of the District Insurance Company for the Self-Employed) in the former building of the State Sanatorium in Prague 5, Na Cihlářce.
Due to the growing prevalence of infectious hepatitis, the department was transferred to the building of the „lupus“ ward at the hospital in Motol in 1953. The head of the department at that time was MUDr. Otakar Souček, a specialist in gastroenterology. He had previously worked at the Internal Clinic in the Motol hospital under the supervision of prof. MUDr. Miloš Netoušek, DrSc. The Neurology Clinic, led by doc. Dr. Mathon, DrSc., was transferred to the Motol hospital in 1957. That same year we began doing laparoscopic examinations of the abdominal cavity, in conjunction with the performance of a specific and general biopsy of the liver.
MUDr. V Hazuka, a specialized internist and gastroenterologist, became head of the department in 1971. In the field of gastroenterology our department performed endoscopic examinations as well as invasive and non-invasive examinations of the liver for the areas of Prague and the Central Bohemian Region. We regularly took part in activities of Czech Hepatology Society. In addition, we developed a cooperation with the Clinic of Infectious Diseases at Bulovka, including cooperation with the 1st and 2nd Faculties of Medicine of Charles University and the Institute for Continuing Education for Doctors and Pharmacists. We organized lectures for students of these universities.
Our department was led by MUDr. Jana Železná starting from 1992. At that time we also introduced chronic infectious hepatitis treatment of by interferon as well as clinical verification of new drugs. We elaborated examination methods for rheohepatography and perilaparoscopic examinations of impedance along with presentation of results. In 1998, reconstruction of the pavilions’ ground floor was completed, and a Hepatitis Treatment Program for Drug Addiction was established. MuDr. Železná retired in 1999.
MUDr. Jiřina Hobstová, CSc., took charge of the department in 2000, and under her management the department continues to care of patients diagnosed with drug addiction. Moreover, the program has been extended to all infectious diseases occurring during drug addiction, and so we no longer focus only on hepatitis. Patients diagnosed with drug addiction represent approximately 30 % of our in- and out-patients. Our department participated in teaching students of the 3rd Faculty of Medicine of Charles University for 2 years starting from 2001. Since 2004, the department has sponsored internships for students of the 1st Faculty of Medicine of Charles University. The department of infectious diseases is an accredited workplace of the 2nd degree for post-graduate instruction.