Fakultní nemocnice v Motole University Hospital in Motol

přejdi na obsah | přejdi na menu | přejdi na vyhledávání

Department of ENT, 2nd Faculty of Medicine, Charles University in Prague and Motol University Hospital

The ENT clinic arose as a department from the Faculty of Child Medicine at Charles University. It began its work in 1946 in the „orphanage“ in Karlov and focused on the issues of child otorinolaryngology.

It was initially headed by Prof. MUDr. B. Wiškovský. He was replaced by Doc. MUDr. Jan Chvojka in 1953. Between 1960 and 1979 our clinic was managed by Doc. MUDr. Jan Klos, DrSc. From the very beginning, we have cooperated with the ENT department of the Central Military Hospital (where internship programs with adult patients took place) in teaching.

In 1978, our clinic was moved to new premises at the University Hospital Motol. In 1981, the management of the clinic was taken by Prof. MUDr. Jaroslav Fajstavr, Dr.Sc. At the same time, the Child ENT clinic merged with the Motol ENT department for adults. Even after merging, both departments maintained their independence and used the advantages of close cooperation in clinical, pedagogical and scientific research activities.

In 1998, in connection with the opening of a new block for adults at the University Hospital Motol and reorganization of Prague’s health services, our clinic became independent again. After the retirement of prof. MUDr. Fajstavr, the management of the clinic was taken up by Doc. MUDr. Zdeněk Kabelka, Ph.D.

Prof. Fajstavr had a very significant impact on the overall image of the clinic. He developed his methods based on the Hradec Kralove school of Prof. Hybášek, mainly in the field of pediatric ENT.

Our close collaboration with Clinic of Child Oncology has led to the formation of a capable team, which can effectively diagnose and treat child ENT oncologic diseases at the European level. Our employees also have a significant interest in endoscopic examinations of the larynx, tracheobronchial tree and esophagus, including surgical interventions. One of the top experts in the field of child endoscopy, head doctor MUDr. Jiří Kanta was a long-term deputy head of the clinic. After his retirement, doctor MUDr. Pavel Březovský took his place. Thanks to their top quality work, their successor – chief doctor MUDr. Milena Marková – has not only been able to continue tradition of high level diagnosis and treatment, but has also been able to expand our clinic’s possibilities even further thanks to introduction of the most up-to-date technologies.

We also specialize in treatment of congenital ENT defects and surgical hypacusia treatment. We currently perform cochlear implants surgery for children. Child Cochlear Implants Center, which was lead by Doc. MUDr. Zdeněk Kabelka from the very beginning, is the only center in our country which deals with this problem. Physicians began performing children cochlear implantations in 1993. In 2000 number of operated children patients reached 106.

Our newly equipped surgery rooms, together with special new surgical tools, allow us to use more delicate surgical techniques (especially in the middle ear area). The development of clinic’s diagnostic capacities goes hand-in-hand with the development of surgical possibilities. Hearing examination instruments give our physicians ability to check children patients immediately after the birth, and thanks to the unique SSEP device physicians can precisely determine the hearing threshold, even in very young children. In 2000, this device was the only one in Central Europe.

Operations and treatment of paranasal cavity diseases have changed significantly with the adoption of the concept of functional endonasal surgery, and with the use of new treatment preparations.

The close cohesion and cooperation developed with all specialized child departments of the University Hospital Motol further enhances the possibilities of the Child ORL Clinic in all aspects of its activities.

 

Partners

© University Hospital in Motol, 2012. All rights reserved.

Subscribe to news (RSS)

Site Map

developed by MEDIA FACTORY