The centre was formed in 1945 and was founded as health-care facility by ophthalmologist MUDr. Bohumil Fafl (1907 – 1998). At that time it was named the Institute of Ophthalmology. The institute cared for visually impaired children and juveniles, especially for pupils of special schools for visually impaired.
Integration into DFN and Following Years
From the end of the 50´s the centre was integrated into Children´s University Hospital, later University Hospital in Motol. Senior consultant Fafl headed the centre until 1970, between 1970 and 1981 MUDr. Cecílie Drastíková was appointed the senior consultant.
Scope of Activity Extension
Senior consultant MUDr. Stanislav Rodný contributed to the recent system of provided services. He headed the Centre between 1981 and 2001. During the 80´s and the 90´s of the last century CZV extended its activities to patients of all age groups and had become the complex health-care centre providing care for the visually impaired. Since 1996 the centre has its recent name the Centre of Visual Impairment. After several moving the Centre operates since 1999 in pavilion No. 16 within the premises of University Hospital in Motol.
The Centre of Visual Impairment has been headed by MUDr. Jitka Řehořová since 2001. In January 2002 the Centre of Visual Impairment was integrated into the Department of Ophthalmology for Children and Adults of the 2nd LF UK.